Re: [tor-relays] Fast Exit Node Operators - ISP in US

On 11/23/2014 11:05 AM, s7r wrote:
> That is, because in almost all cases, providers allow unmetered
> incoming traffic to your server but keep count and accounting on
> outgoing traffic from your server, which is why the torrc setting acts
> the way it does.

That would be great! I'll confirm with the provider.

I'm also wondering what to set for RelayBandwidthRate for an exit. I see
some old threads on this list, and a question at Tor.SE, but find
nothing that's clear and persuasive.

Assuming that the 1000 GB/mo limit applies to just outgoing traffic,
throughput would need to average ca. 0.4 MB/sec. However, median
advertised exit bandwidth from Tor Metrics is ca. 1 MB/sec, so it seems
unlikely that an exit advertising 0.4 MB/sec would be used very heavily.
And so actual usage would be far less than 0.4 MB/sec.

Conversely, setting RelayBandwidthRate to 3 MB/sec would ultimately lead
to heavy use. But with full utilization at 250 GB per day, the relay
would hibernate after just four days. There must be some intermediate
value that would bring average usage to 0.4 MB/sec.

What is the optimal RelayBandwidthRate for a 1000 GB/mo VPS? I'm
guessing that it's about 1 MB/sec.