Re: [tor-talk] Following best-practices for tor exit-node on RIPE

Am 22.08.2011 12:08, schrieb Alexandre Girard:
I'm trying to open a new tor exit node on tetaneutral.net - associative
ISP in Toulouse, France - and I've got a question after reading the
best-practices available on this page:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment

On point 5, it describe how to change the contact email on an IP.

Tetaneutral has a range of IP, and we can use 1 IP for the tor exit
node. The description about the contact mail concerns ARIN, does someone
know how to do it on RIPE?

Thank you for your question. Now I finally forced myself to update the wiki entry at https://www.torservers.net/wiki/hoster/inquiry

Here's the new section on RIPE:

With RIPE, it works even better than with ARIN as most people respect the WHOIS entry there without going directly for the upstream record. In our experience, this happens a lot with ARIN. But - my guess is due to some stricter regulations by RIPE - less ISPs are willing to reassign RIPE IPs. Some reports, like Shadowserver reports, get sent to the AS, so WHOIS does not help against those. With luck you can get your ISP to ignore or auto-forward them to you.

If you don't have "mtner" and "person" handles for your Tor exits, use the wizard at https://apps.db.ripe.net/startup/ or manually create them at https://apps.db.ripe.net/webupdates/select-type.html

You need at least one mtner and one "person" handle. Tell your ISP to create an "inetnum" record linking those handles. You should suggest apprioriate "desc", "remarks" and "country" entries. RIPE does not require this country to be the location of your server, nor your location. Your ISP might want either your location or the servers location in there. If you want to confuse GeoIP, you can specify another country. It is also possible to list more than one country, but be aware that it takes several months for GeoIP services to pick up changes (if they ever do) and that you won't be able to edit the "inetnum" record yourself.

Maintainer record example:
http://apps.db.ripe.net/whois/lookup/ripe/mntner/ZWIEBELFREUNDE.html
Person example:
http://apps.db.ripe.net/whois/lookup/ripe/person-role/MB22990-RIPE.html
inetnum example:
https://apps.db.ripe.net/dbweb/search/query.html?searchtext=77.247.181.160

Additional RIPE Documentation for ISPs (if they don't know how to do their stuff, helps sometimes to pass this on): * http://www.ripe.net/lir-services/resource-management/faq/internet-resources#faq_22
* http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-489

Hope this helps! Let me know if it works, feel free to add more info to the wiki page (world editable).

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/