Re: [tor-talk] Tor Exit Node Operator Raided in USA.

Martin Fick <mogulguy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 8/29/11, Matthew <pumpkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/08/why-ip-addresses-alone-dont-identify-criminals
> >

> > If you run an exit relay, consider operating it in a
> > Tor-friendly commercial facility instead of your home
> > to make it less likely that law enforcement agents will
> > show up at your door.
>
> Hmm, I am surprised by the EFFs advice here.
>
> It it is legal as they claim, shouldn't they be
> heralding us to run an exit node at home and not
> be intimidated by ignorant law enforcement?  And
> that they will help defend us in case of an
> issue?
>
> After all, they are recommending open wireless
> access points from individuals:
>
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/open-wireless-movement

I think getting raided due to running a Tor exit node at
home (or even remotely) is a lot more likely than getting
raided due to running an open wireless access point.

After all an exit node is pretty much guaranteed to be misused
every now and then and not all criminal investigators are
competent enough to recognize that an IP address belongs to
a Tor exit node (and some couldn't care less).

Fabian