[tor-talk] The Stop Online Piracy Act

I haven't seen this brought up on this list yet, so I thought I would mention it. Tech Dirt (among others) are reporting on yet another round of misguided (U.S.) legislation supposedly targeting copyright infringement. Part of this legislation involves attempting to prevent DNS from resolving "offensive" domain names. The part that seems like it could potentially affect Tor (in my non-lawyer) mind is:

"To ensure compliance with orders issued pursuant to this section, the Attorney General may bring an action for injunctive relief.... against any entity that knowingly and willfully provides or offers to provide a product or service designed or marketed for the circumvention or bypassing of measures described in paragraph (2) and taken in response to a court order issued pursuant to this subsection, to enjoin such entity from interfering with the order by continuing to provide or offer to provide such product or service."

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111026/12130616523/protect-ip-renamed-e-parasites-act-would-create-great-firewall-america.shtml

Jim