Re: [tor-talk] which apps require an http proxy?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 23:35:18 -0700
Jacob Appelbaum <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/30/2011 05:37 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 05:31:34PM -0700, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> >>  otherwise, I sometimes use a
> >> HTTP proxy with proxychains to prevent DNS leaky applications that have
> >> not and will never implement SOCKS.
> >

> wget is the most common example that other people use - with wget, I set
> the HTTP headers match Torbutton:
>
> HTTP_PROXY=http://127.0.0.1:8118/
> http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8118/
> FTP_PROXY=http://127.0.0.1:8118/
> HTTPS_PROXY=http://127.0.0.1:8118/
> https_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8118/
> ftp_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:8118/
> usewithtor wget -e robots=off --random-wait --wait 3.145
> --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/5.0" -m -np http://www.example.com/
>
> Python's web/http processing libraries could probably be improved in the
> core language to always use SOCKS proxies that are set:
> https://github.com/ioerror/TeaTime/blob/master/teatime.py#L46
>
> Those are both useful building blocks.

apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade/install is another good example for hiddenly
and privately downloading small Linux packages. secure-Apt uses gpg verification, then
adversary on the exit node cannot substitute or modify thats packages.
Good for hidden services especially for hiding system administrative activity.

apt-get runs trought root and proxy is only way to do it through tor.

Using privoxy 'forward socks4a / 127.0.0.1:9050 [proxy address]' in
privoxy conf (similar in polipo) user can hide the fact of using Tor
and use (and abuse) proxy servers in the chain after exit-nodes to using
tor-blocked resources, for example.