Re: [tor-talk] Tor and big files

On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 10:56 +0000, James Brown wrote:
> Earlie it was written that torificatuon of torrent-clients for
> uploading/downloading big file is able to deanonimize tor users using
> such scheme.
> But what about downloading/uploading big files through ssh (scp, sftp,
> `rsync -e ssh` and etc.) or ftp over Tor?

As far as I'm aware, the reason for this is that the BitTorrent protocol
is designed to share the user's IP with others in the swarm. Since Tor
doesn't map each connection to a unique circuit, the de-anonymized
BitTorrent connection could be used to identify other connections on the
same circuit. The attack had nothing to do with large files.