Re: [tor-talk] Tor as a sort of "library/dependancy" for third party software

On 9/28/11 11:53 PM, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On the original question: we do not currently support having the Tor
> client run in the same address space as another application, nor do we
> plan to.  If you've absolutely got to have it be a single executable,
> your best option is to link everything except tor_main.c, then have
> your program fork and call tor_main().  Don't call any other function:
> there is no guaranteed-stable in-process API.
>
> It's an ugly hack, but less ugly than running other stuff in the same
> process with Tor.

Well, but what's about all the "external files" that Tor need such as
configuration files, the cache files, and so ?

Even embedding the Tor.exe would require some external files.

I am wondering if it would be possible to think about "embedding" all
the external files as Windows PE "Resources"?
But would probably means doing much more windows hacking than a short
terms goals of making up a prototype!
Still it would be a nice things to think about a Tor client with
"everything" built-in into a single executable, including external files.

Another possible approach could be to:
- Start the program
- Create an encrypted directory using a random key (with windows
encryption system and/or apple filevalue)
- Uncompressing everything into that directory
- Starting the "programs"
- When the program close deleting the files and the encrypted directory

This could eventually be another ugly hack to provide the end-user the
same experience of a "single, self contained .exe file" ?

Fabio