Re: [tor-talk] TBB 2.2.32 & Automatic Updates

* Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@xxxxxxxxx> [2011:09:05 20:57 +0800]:
> I note that for previous versions of the TBB, all plugins installed on
> the system is not visible at all under the Add-ons Manager. This
> release shows all the plugins (eg. Java, Flash, etc..) with an option
> to enable them as they are currently disabled by default.

The reason for this is that in the old versions of TBB with FF3.6 on linux, I
binary patched libxul.so in a filthy way so that it would not pick up system
plugins; on Windows it was possible to comment out a section of
nsExtensionsManager.js that scanned the Windows registry. On OSX I never
figured out how to stop it.

However, as of Firefox 4, there is a pref called extensions.enabledScopes which
allows you to define the scope of plugins and limit them to things like "just
this profile", "just this app", "just this user", etc. In the current TBBs it
is limited by profile (the most limited and mandatory scope) but it seems to
behave somewhat unpredictably. It used to be that it did not even show all of
the plugins, now it shows them but you have to enable them. I should look into
this to make sure there isn't another pref interfering.

You can read more about this here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Addons/Add-on_Manager/AddonManager#Installation_scopes
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/mozapps/extensions/AddonManager.jsm#1238