Re: CVS and other hosting issues

Hello,
I've been lurking on this list for a while...so I thought I'd give my A$0.20 (=US$0.02) on SourceForge.
The nice thing about sourceforge is that has (a) nice web interfaces to everything and (b) lots of extras
you get:
CVS
mailing lists
(obviously these two needs are already met)
webspace with DB (ssh in and its just like home)
Bug tracking
release management
patch management
documentation management
team management (*you* can manage the webspace, and *you* can use CVS...)
task/project management (the ability to assign tasks to people, or advertize for them to be done)
user surveys (feature requests, quality assurance, whatever you like)
Web based forums (all the rage with the kids these days)
tech support (prioritized)

Have you noticed the word "Management" there somewhere

also
automatic publicity (the software map)
job advertisement ("XArchon needs a new evil sorceress; apply here")
the SF staff are very helpful
http://sourceforge.net/docs/site/hardware.php
the compile farm

plus whatever the hell they think of next. On the activity ratings on the sourceforge front page, sourceforge itself is almost always the most busy.
Its a fabulously rich, fast, stable environment - we don't need to use it all, but I think that some things would be very nice, especially for such a distributed dev group. Seul could do the job, but SF does it all automatically, in nice shades of purple.

TODO:
* nominate a leader (enthusiastic, well muscled)
* open an account on SF
* get Ronen to tar/gzip up the CVS repository
* mail that to leader, leader mails it to sf to be integrated (as per SF doco...)
* everyone else interested joins SF and contacts leader to let him/her join the xarchon team
* Hooray!

hope that helps
Lachlan
(PS: while I'm at it here is my XArchon wishlist:
	1. decouple game logic from front end
	2. have a 3d front end
	3. BIGGER TILES!
ahem... )