Re: [Computerbank] the special case of Tassie

Bruce McCubbery wrote:

Just my 2c.

> You see guys, I come from a different orientation than most within
> Computerbank, I'm not at all interested in Linux.

Well, you had better learn to like it, because it is an essential part
of this organisation.

>        (( boo?? ))
>
> My focuses are twofold. (actually one)
>
> Getting as many donated computers as we can through to the people needing
> them as rapidly as we can.

Take a deep breath sunshine - it is like pregnancy - it doesn't matter
how many men are involved, it still takes 9 months to produce a baby.
Likewise, it is going to take time to distribute computers PROPERLY. We
are all volunteers and computerbank comes after a lot of other things in
our lives. I ration ONE day a month to Computerbank.

The truth is that many more computers will be junked than we can ever
deal with.

> Doing this all over Australia not just in our capital cities.

This "all" is totally unrealistic. It depends on people and that is what
will mean it will not happen because it requires many people in a
location for it to continue in the long run. Other people have told you
this, but it doesn't seem to have sunk in.

> That's why I'm so pushy about extra branches ASAP.

My polite suggestion is to pull your head in and just help with other
projects. Extra branches will happen when local people are interested
and committed. The people Computerbank needs are very wary of getting
involved in "piss and wind organisations" that talk big and don't have
the runs on the board. We need the existing branches to do stuff and
complete projects, which will attract other people and lead to more
branches.

Slow growth is good growth.

...snip....

> Sorry to tell you, but I know of three places that have given up on going
> the Linux way but chosen instead to stick to Microsoft when they couldn't
> get Computerbank and Linux help.

Who cares? Get used to it. I'm not here to make Microsoft richer. If MS
operating systems are involved, then I want to be paid.

If people want to be lazy idiots, then that is their problem. I do give
away computers with other OS's on them, but it is strictly once off and
"I don't support this crap, so don't call me" message. And, I only give
them to people who have other people that can help them.

90% of my business calls are cheap bastards with MS problems who, after
offering to pay,  don't really want to pay what it is worth to fix it.

Choosing Linux is a way to weed out the people who are prepared to put
the effort in and learn about computers. Effort that is required no
matter what operating system is installed.

Finally, you don't know much about hardware if you are suggesting we
distribute MS OS's. Firstly, most of the hardware I've seen donated to
Computerbank will not run the currently distributed MS OS's. That's
right, MS no longer sell/support WFWG/Win3.11 or Win95 and you need a
P200+ to consider Win98. (replies - don't bother = think ram).

Secondly, go and read the MS licensing conditions - and check your
interpretation with Microsoft. Old licenses are just not transferrable.

Thirdly, the MS charity donations will not go far - remember that paltry
figure has to be shared world wide with software valued at FULL price.

Linux is free and good. Linux is better than MS OS's. Linux will run on
a lot more hardware, than MS OS's, which means we can RE-USE more
computers.

   email: terryc@woa.com.au  www: http://www.woa.com.au
   Wombat Outdoor Adventures <Bicycles, Books, Computers, GIS>