Re: [Computerbank] the special case of Tassie

Hi Richard and all,

I'm happy with Linux, especially so since I've got to know the 225 lot.
I'm picking up on the philosophy and practicalities more through Sam.

As it is the Computerbank way I'm happy with that, it just means the Linux
story might have to be sold into the bush more but I've run across several
there who are quite au fait with Linux from what they say. It's going to
take time though, I agree, I'm only trying to jog the process along any way
I can.

Others have expressed their anti-MS views to me enough to convince me, but
I'm from the far left politically to start off with anyhow, so I'm
predispossed to agree.

I hope that other posting of mine under "solving the conundrum of the bush"
earlier today helped put me into the right slot?

About creating country branches of Computerbank in places too far from a
capital city you suggested:

>you really need a LUG/group of Linux
>enthusiasts. One person can become over worked, unless that person is
>just a mentor for other people to learn Linux, then it will work and
>Computerbank will have long term success.

I think that was what I was reaching for, in my mind the china egg in the
nest or such, Pen will like that analogy. The father or mother figure -- or
mentor as you suggest -- who helps everyone wanting to learn and draws a
growing nucleus of Linux learners around them.

>The "local linux expert" is really a magic pill approach and the problem
>is that, if the magic pill cannot be found, then you don't do anything.

Well yes, it is a fond wish, first best (if only a fluke) possibility. And
I agree, in some cases, perhaps most, we'll have to "grow our own" by
upskilling locals to Computerbank standards.

>More realistically, people are just going to have to learn Linux. So
>long as they are making an effort, there are plenty of LUG lists
>throughout the world that will help them with any problems. The first
>time can be frustrating, but it gets easier with experience.
>It all just takes time.

The bush people I'm in contact with who are wanting to do this will
appreciate that. I need to be able to send them to their best such list but
(Catch 22 again) I'm not cluey enough. With Greg and possibly a couple of
others now on Australia-wide knowing Linux, hopefully we can manage that
now though.

I've been potentially put off the scent by hearing how most LUGs are tied
geographically to Sydney or Canberra or such. Is there somewhere that I
could post (a URL) which helps people find their most local LUG? I can see
how that would appeal most to a learner, even if their nearest LUG was
centred over 200 km away. I'm thinking of Bowen QLD and Port Hedland,
Kalannie and Geraldton in WA right now but this need will continually pop up.

Regards, Bruce