Re: Basic strategies for winning almost every map

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Jens Granseuer wrote:

On 01.04.2005 13:19, Jonathan Koren wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Jens Granseuer wrote:

[airbases]

The intrduction of airbases would mean that only certain structures would
be able to accept airplanes.  Anything could take land units, but not
everyone could take airplanes.  Sort of like how you can park tank at the
mall, but you can't land an f-15 there.

That's been possible for ages (though only with cfed, not with comet). The only problem with this feature is that if you restrict a shop for e.g. aircraft it becomes impossible to conquer that shop because infantry is not allowed to enter it...

I would consider that a bug. Instead of 'airplanes only' it should be 'airplanes allowed'.

[submarines]

They seem kind of redundant given torpedo boats have long range capabilities. The fact that a subs imply stealth, but the subs don't actually have stealth. It wouldn't be an issue if they were a surface ship, say a cruiser, but as it is, they seeem kind of crippled, or as I said, redundant.

You mean you'd be happy if we just labelled them "Cruisers" instead of "Submarines"? Erm...

Well, you'd have to change the icon too. :)

Anyway, if we can agree on a sensible and feasible definition of
"stealth" then I'm not saying it can't be done.

I'll make a proposal.

Stealth is the ability of a unit to remain hidden from opposing forces.

A stealth unit is always visible to its controlling force.

A stealth unit is hidden from all opposing forces until it is revealed.

A stealth unit can not be attacked until it is revealed.

When a stealth unit is revealed, it is only revealed to the force that revealed it. [Ed. This line is here for multiplayer games, where the number of players is greater than 2. This isn't implemented in CF, but if/when it is, this stealth proposal already supports it.]

When a stealth unit attacks, it is revealed to force that controls its target.

Some units have antistealth sensors. Antistealth sensors have a detection range. Any opposing stealth unit within the detection range is revealed to the force controlling the antistealth unit. [Ed. ASW helicopters would be great counter to stealth submarines. AWACS planes and/or radar tanks could counter stealth bombers. Also, I think antistealth units should be pretty weak offensively/defensively, lest we create some sort of super unit.]

When a unit without antistealth sensors attempts to move into a hex with a hidden stealth unit, the moving unit remains in the previous hex and the stealth unit is revealed to force controlling the moving unit. The moving unit may now attack the stealth unit as normal.

Comments? Questions?

--
Jonathan Koren World domination? I'll leave that to the jkoren@xxxxxxxxxx religious nuts and Republicans, thank you.
http://www.cs.siu.edu/~jkoren/ -- The Monarch, "Venture Brothers"