Re: cvs build

On 25.02.2004 14:31, Dave Fancella wrote:
> On Sunday 22 February 2004 05:18 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
>
> > Can you please verify that the
> > script works for you?
>
> No workie.  Sorry.
>
> I downloaded and installed from tarballs automake 1.8 and autoconf 2.58
> (automake 1.8 wouldn't configure without autoconf 2.58, argh!  GNU invented
> dll hell, I think).

Yeah, automake is kind of messy.

> Then I removed the Mandrake-provided symlinks to
> autoconf, automake, and aclocal, and checked which ones were now being called
> with "which autoconf" and the others, verifying that the ones in
> /usr/local/bin are now being called.

Removing the old ones shouldn't have been necessary. We now check for
automake-1.8, then automake-1.7, and finally automake with a version
check.

> Here's the error output:  ;)
>
> [dave@benedict crimson]$ ./autogen.sh
> Auto-regenerate package `crimson' in directory `.'
>
> [...]
>
> Running aclocal-1.8...
> aclocal: configure.ac: 41: macro `AM_PATH_SDL' not found in library

Ok. If we fix this one, the others will go away automatically, I hope.
First, we're calling aclocal-1.8. That's a good sign. The problem is
the SDL-devel package (sort of).

Your situation is this: automake (default) is installed in /usr.
aclocal is part of automake. aclocal looks for macros in $datadir/aclocal
which usually is /usr/share/aclocal. SDL-devel installs sdl.m4 in
/usr/share/aclocal.
automake-1.8 is installed in /usr/local and looks for macros in
/usr/local/share/aclocal, probably (check with aclocal-1.8 --print-ac-dir).
Unfortunately, it can't find sdl.m4 there. There probably is some way to
tell it to look in /usr/share/aclocal, too, (there's a command line option
but that doesn't help us much here) but the quick fix is to make a link to
sdl.m4 in /usr/local/share/aclocal-1.8.

> On the bright side I came up with a pretty cool theme and a snare drum cadence
> for a soundtrack!  I'm hoping to get some new strings in the next couple of
> days, because my strings are so old (and it's so long since I played that I'm
> waaaay out of practice anyway) that the thing just isn't sounding good right
> now.  I can also recycle one of my older themes that never materialized into
> a song because it fits perfectly with what I've got.  ;)

Drool! Oh, well, I'll be patient. ;-)

Jens