Re: system logic fault (moving units into a building)

On 28.03.2005 20:42, Dave Fancella wrote:
> On Monday 28 March 2005 06:39 am, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> My other idea was to make a new section on the dialog showing the inside of a
> factory/base/whatever that lists the available transport-type units and then
> you could just drag and drop units into each one and get a neat little sound
> effect when it works, and a neat little sound effect when it doesn't
> work.  :)  (Or you could click on the unit then click on the transport, like
> you do in the rest of the map anyway)
>
> Neat thing about that is that it implies there's movement in the
> factory/town/base/whatever, you know, like Ultima.  :)

Now we just need a nice interface design that doesn't take too much space,
looks good, and works as expected. I'm not really keen on implementing
drag and drop, though.

Actually, some kind of hybrid between the two approaches would be great.
It would be nice to keep the one-dimensional view (the unit list as is)
and still be able to assign units to transporters. But I probably haven't
thought about this enough. Not sure if it would work.

> > > I think hovercraft should be able to move over light forest and possibly
> > > medium forest (they can go above the trees), but not over heavy forest
> > > (older trees, too tall to go above, too thick to maneuver inside the
> > > forest).  How many forest distinctions are there right now?
> >
> > There are currently two types of forest. One is actually forest and nicely
> > qualifies as heavy forest, while the other is merely plains with a few
> > trees on top.
>
> I'd tend to think hovercraft should be able to go over the light forest then.
> Which they can already?

Yes, they can currently cross both plains and forest. The change would
remove the forest.

> How about introducing something
> like 'terrain hazards' or something?  Making it optional, of course.  It
> would basicaly be the chances a unit will hit something that will cause
> damage to it, incapacitate it, or worse case, kill it.  An argument can be
> made to build the veteran status as well since the internal changes that
> happen when you become a veteran happen as well when you go trudging around
> swamps and thick forests, mountains, hills and stuff for weeks/years.  And
> then the hovercraft would have a higher chance of doing something stupid and
> dying in a light forest than it has on the water?  ;)

I don't like that. We're not quite like chess, but we aren't roulette either,
and I'd like to keep it that way. Besides, it would very much disagree with
the KISS principle, much more so than adding ammo or fuel IMO.
(And I always hated the trireme in Civ...)

Jens