Re: A patch

On 01.05.2007 14:32, haruspex wrote:
> First of all: is the project still alive? The mail list archive
> doesn't show anything for the April.

Crimson Fields is developed in waves (the approach we're taking is
therefore also called "development by making waves" in initiated
circles). This means there are usually bursts of hectic activity
for a while before everything quiets down and waits for something
to happen. At the moment we seem to be floating in such a trough of
the sea.

(Part of the reason is probably that I haven't spent a lot of time
on CF lately. Life seems to have a tendency to interfere. Then again,
what we mainly need is maps, and that's nothing I should be needed
for...)

> In case it is, I attach a .diff file with a few minor tweaks, which I
> consider not to be harmful to the game.

Thanks for your contribution. To make reviewing patches easier, it
would be nice if you could submit separate patches per issue in the
future. Please also use unified format (ideally diff -up).

> These changes are:
> * User-friendliness:
> - the exact amount of XP of a unit is shown next to its HP at the bar
> in the bottom-left corner;

The gory details are hidden on purpose. If that wasn't intended we
could just have XP from 0 to 15 or something. I never missed the
exact numbers and don't think they are important to know. Just some
meaningless numbers.

> - you can see how far an enemy unit can move during its turn by
> clicking on it, in the same fashion as with your own units (reasoning:
> knowing how much movement points a particular type of unit has you can
> predict where it will be able to move - so this feature just saves
> your time);
> - removed the window "Access Denied" when trying to find out the stats
> of an enemy unit (reasoning: if you want to know the stats of a unit
> everything you need is to find your own unit of that type - maybe in
> another level. So disabling "unit info" on enemy units just creates
> troubles for the user without really changing anything).

These two were done on purpose as well, but maybe the reasoning wasn't
quite as sound. The original idea was that during campaigns you would
occasionally encounter new units that you know nothing about. Being
able to just look up the stats somewhat works against that. On the
other hand, unknown and mysterious enemy units haven't been a strong
focus as of yet, so maybe changing this would be ok. Not sure.

> * Appearance:
> - cursor confirmation animation, as proposed by Laurent Chea (see "GFX
> enhancement : little animation");

I haven't had the time to try this yet, but if it works fine this
would be a welcome addition, I guess.

Jens