Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU invited at the Libre Software Meeting

hello,

Andreas Romeyke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, nicO wrote:
>
> > I imagine that use SIMD code are quite difficult so it's intersting to
> > see if it miss some instructions to use all the power of the SIMD stuff.
> > i know that one of the most problematic things are the instruction that
> > pack the data, maybe we miss some.

which ? the existing ones are rather complete AFAIK.

> Why not use a temporary bytecode generated with some higher level
> functions (between assembler and libc, I think on a level as forth
> is).
>
> First the higher level functions will be assembled with easier
> machine depended code, later they will be substituted by optimized
> SIMD-Code...
>
> Any hints?

i am not sure to understand.

however, in the race for performance, one of worst the problems is to
get rid of of the intermediate levels of representation, because we
lose data and semantics during each conversion. What matters most is
"what does the program do" rather than "how does it do it" because we
can find better ways.

I have the feeling that GCC will make really slow programs.
while the superpipeline can reach a somewhat higher frequency,
an inadequate compiler makes the system work really slow.
i fear that this constatation can be used as an argument
against the project.

> Bye Andreas
WHYGEE