Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU invited at the Libre Software Meeting

Hallo,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Yann Guidon wrote:

> > Any hints?
>
> i am not sure to understand.

I meant:

- - we need a compiler which generates temporary code at a level between
assembler/machinecode and C + libc like Forth does. At this level we had
basic functions, which

first:
- - can be compiled/assembled automatically by a stupid Compiler/assembler,
so we have first the issue of functionality

second:
- - can be assembled/substituted by handoptimized SIMD-assembler, so we have
then the issue of higher speed

(BTW. I know about that there is only a local optimization possible, but
it depends on abstraction level of the basic functions in temporary code)

> however, in the race for performance, one of worst the problems is to
> get rid of of the intermediate levels of representation, because we
> lose data and semantics during each conversion. What matters most is
> "what does the program do" rather than "how does it do it" because we
> can find better ways.

IMHO we should use a simpler language than C because a Compiler with
SIMD and superpipelining should be easier to developed.

> I have the feeling that GCC will make really slow programs.
> while the superpipeline can reach a somewhat higher frequency,
> an inadequate compiler makes the system work really slow.
> i fear that this constatation can be used as an argument
> against the project.

The problem is that softwaredevelopers thinking more in serial than
parallel. You can verify this thesis comparing your code-writing with VHDL
and with C/C++.

> PS: anybody knows whether he comes to the LSM ?

I will not be there, but I want.

BTW.: Anybody would send me the F-CPU-CDROM from last CCC, any hints?

Bye Andreas