Re: [f-cpu] last word about license ;-) was Re: encore une couche (was: Re: [f-cpu] License issues GPL/LGPL andJuergen Goeritz' SoC)

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 11:47:40AM -0400, nicO wrote:
[...]
> > BTW: Since almost everybody on this planet seems to be preparing for
> > war (some also call it "justice"), I've been thinking about some usage
> > restrictions.  I don't want my work to control a cruise missile that
> > kills thousands of people.  IMHO, the freedom to use the F-CPU can not
> > be infinite.  It must end at the point where F-CPU users actively take
> > away other people's freedom to live (or any other freedoms / personal
> > rights -- free speech, privacy, and so on).  The GPL is a little too
> > "blue-eyed" with respect to that.
> >

> No sorry, we can't do that. Thougth that an army is just here to kill
> people is far too simple. That's an other debate, i agree. But if we put
> such reduicing clause, our licence will not be GPL compatible and
> recognise as open source licence. cf.
>
> http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.html
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Does the F-CPU license really have to be compatible with the GPL?

I really don't care about Open Source.  It only guarantees that you can
get the source code, not that you can modify and/or redistribute it freely
(that's the reason why Micro$oft hates the GPL, and *only* the GPL).
I don't like this "you may have a look at it, but don't touch it" kind
of licenses.  Or worse, "you may look at it and touch it, but all your
modifications are automatically mine", which is also covered by the term
Open Source, IIRC.  No, thank you.

I know that I may not be able to stop them, but I'd like to make clear
that I neither agree with nor support people or organizations who harass,
threaten, hurt, torture or kill other people.  Freedom to use something
does not include freedom to abuse it -- and we're responsible for drawing
the line between them.  In fact, all scientists, engineers and inventors
are, but most of them tend to forget that fact, or ignore it.  Like RMS
and/or the FSF did.