Re: [freehaven-dev] Re: [Freenet-chat] MojoNation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Dingledine" <arma@mit.edu>
To: <freehaven-dev@freehaven.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [freehaven-dev] Re: [Freenet-chat] MojoNation

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 06:38:38PM -0500, Brett Wooldridge wrote:
> > I was thinking that Freenet could simply apply a "hash cash" like
> > algorithm between clients and servers.
>
> I'll give two different answers here, one for if you meant Freenet
> above, and one if you actually meant to say Free Haven. :)

I did mean Freenet. :)

> But I'm not convinced that Freenet needs it. It has a rudimentary defense
> system against spamming already, both against publishing (unpopular data
> dies out) and against retrieving (it caches where you retrieve it, so
> it's harder to attack many servers at once).

I think there is still a problem.  Regardless of the popularity of the data, it is
my understanding that publishing something "new" to a node can and will, if
the node is at capacity, push "old" data out -- least popular first obviously.
But, if enough "new" material is published -- especially with very similar keys,
the effect would be to push all valid data out of a given node.  Someone
correct me if this is not the case.  One solution would be to treat "new"
data as (infinitely) unpopular, and therefore reject it if the node is at capacity.
But this could have the effect is rejecting legitimate publication.  Is there a
mechanism in Freenet for a server to "split" its keyspace off to another node?
Thus making room for more data?  Even still this wouldn't prevent excessive
publication/splitting of keyspaces by spammers.

brett