Re: gEDA-user: Re:gEDA/gaf 20040111 source tarballs released (RELEASE NOTES)

Hi,

>Just a quick question on install/upgrade
>
>Right now I am using geda version 20030525
>
>Should I go into each package directory and issue a make uninstall to remove t
>he components of the previous version before I attempt to upgrade to 20040111.

	You could do that, but I don't necessarily recommend doing that
especially since you are upgrading from an older version and it's best not
to break your existing install until you can test the new one.

	I recommend that you install the new gEDA/gaf etc... into it's
own subdirectory/prefix (using the --prefix= flag on ./configure).
The easiest way to do this is to edit the toplevel Makefile and set the
prefix= to something like $HOME/geda-20040111, type make, set the required
environment variables, and then do:  make install.  You can then switch
between geda versions by just changing the environment variables PATH
and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

>Also if I manage to get make xinstall working will I, need to or be able to un
>install this in the future.

	make xinstall installs into a prefix by default ($HOME/geda) if
I'm not mistaken, unless you change it to something else.  Doing a
make xinstall is no different than doing a ./configure ... ; make
install in each package directory.  make xinstall just makes it easier
to get stuff built since it assumes as little as possible about your
machine (i.e. it builds are the required libraries before it tries to
build/install gEDA/gaf).

>Right now I have just been downloading everything, doing ./configure and then
>make install in each directory.  Before I upgraded last time I did an make uni
>nstall.  But am not sure it was nescessary.

	Not necessary, but it's always better to install into a brand new
directory.

>Probably a general linux nubie type question, rather then so much geda specifi
>c question but PCB and geda are the only things I am really upgrading right no
>w.
>
>Also a make xinstall in the directory with the top level make file just gets m
>e a *** No rule to make target 'xinstall'. Stop.
>
>so do I need a special version of make to use xinstall?

	No, regular make should work just fine.  Please run the following
command:

	cat Makefile | grep VERSION=

	what does this output?   Are you sure you have the current
toplevel Makefile from:

http://www.geda.seul.org/devel/20040111/Makefile

	?

>Thanks so much, I finally have gschem and pcb working nicely together several
>schematics entered and even some finished boards.  I am on my way and hope to
>never look back.

	Just be careful you don't break your existing working setup.
That's a nice thing about ./configure etc...; it allows you to isolate
things and test them without breaking existing installs (all this is
possible via the --prefix mechanism).

	Let me know how the upgrade goes for you.

								-Ales