Re: gEDA-user: Specifications

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 05:02:03PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Just for the fun of it, I just tried to set a huge board size.
> > I got bumped back to 30 inches on a side.  This is from the
> > Preferences/Sizes GUI in CVS PCB-HID-gtk.
>
> Try the lesstif HID.  It doesn't have any of the arbitrary (read
> "backwards compatible") limits that the Gtk HID places on board specs.

So what am I to make of
#define MAX_COORD               3000000 /* coordinate limits */
in globalconst.h?

It is used 50 times in pcb core, and 3 times in the gtk HID.
This is, of course, 30 inches expressed in pcb internal units.

I have no doubt this number can be adjusted to a much larger value.
Hmmm, does PCB use int or long for coordinates?  <tappety tap>
In global.h I find
  typedef int LocationType;
so a 64-bit machine won't help here.  I just tried building with
this (and BDimension) set to long (64-bits).  Other than a bunch
of format string mismatches, it didn't look too bad compiling.
It even ran and let me play with a board layout.

Finally, I don't know of any practical board designs larger than
a typical 22x18 inch fab house panel.  So 30 inches is actually
a sensible limit for most people.

   - Larry