Re: gEDA-user: How small a part can you hand place?

Bob Paddock wrote:
I just noticed that Digikey is now carrying 01005 sized parts.
Looks like they are about the size of a flake of black pepper.

How small a part can you realistically place with tweezers,
soldering iron and/or toaster oven?

Something else I don't understand in the Digikey
description is that they say "01005 (EIA) 402".
What does the "EIA 402" mean?

It means this part is what you might commonly know as an 0402 as in the progression down from 1206, 0805, 0603, 0402. Its the (approximate) size in mils while the 1005 is metric (1.0 mm x 0.5 mm ~ 40 mil x 20 mil).

I find that I can deal with these with my mediocre weller soldering station and decent tweezers.

-Dan