Re: gEDA-user: How small a part can you hand place?

> Our IPC footprints I think bottom out at 0201.  But we do have 3 tier
> footprints for things like 0201, 0402, 0805, etc. so it would take about
> 60 seconds to do the board layout (if you skipped the 01005).

I've designed three so far ;-)

With Olimex's standard board, scored and snapped, you get 100 16mm by
10mm boards for 25 cents each.  Futurlec's pricing is about 21c for
the same size, but I haven't figured in shipping.

The tricky part is figuring out the cheapest way of getting the
components for playing with, and not losing too much money making 100
kits without knowing if you'll sell them all ;-)

I've gotten it down to 1-3c per 0805..0201, 16c for 01005, and about
24c each for TSSOP14 (0.65mm) and TVSOP14 (0.40mm) chips.  Adding some
SOT-23-5 shapes in a couple of sizes would be nice.

I think a target price of $2 per kit is a reasonable target.  That
assumes they send a SASE and the "kit" is a bunch of parts (and the
pcb) taped to a piece of paper.  No need for ESD protection ;-)