Re: gEDA-user: How small a part can you hand place?

I bought old stock reels made from 1998 to 2004 on ebay
to get my R and C design range covered pretty well.
the prices wound up in the $0.003 to $0.006 range for R and C in 0805 with a few larger and smaller than 0805, some larger Capacitance packages, good dielectrics. Of course few are lead free.
There's a trace of 60/40 solder plating on their ends. Kester recommends soldering such old parts with the water based
"needs cleaning in 130 degree F water" solder paste too, so it's
got a process step price there to add to the purchase price. For some prototyping, and for getting a low price hobby kit together, they might be right.

Happy to send you some.

John G

DJ Delorie wrote:
With Olimex's standard board, scored and snapped, you get 100 16mm by
10mm boards for 25 cents each.

The tricky part is figuring out the cheapest way of getting the
components for playing with, and not losing too much money making 100
kits without knowing if you'll sell them all ;-)

I've gotten it down to 1-3c per 0805..0201,