Re: gEDA-user: Preliminary release of Install CD

If you are willing to be a guinea pig, please download the CD here:

I'm willing...

http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/

(bottom of page) and try it out.

I'm downloaded...

I am *very* interested in hearing bug reports from folks trying it
out.  To use it successfully, you need a maximally configured distro.
That is, a distro with as many "-devel" packages installed as
possible.  The trend today is to remove header files, config
utilities, and so on from distros in favor of binary applications for
"e-mail and document processing for the end-user".  Stupid, yes, but
that's the reality. Anyway, please try to pick up as many "-devel"
packages as you can when you install your distro.

I'm obstinate...

I really didn't want to do a

$ sudo yum install *-devel

(whatever the correct syntax would be).  I didn't want to install
OpenOffice.org-devel, ogg-devel, this-devel, that-devel.  Instead, I
ran the installer once, saw that it was missing two packages, by
virtue of missing autopoint and gtk-config, and that it wasn't happy
with my old installation of wxGTK.  So I:

$ sudo yum whatprovides autopoint
$ sudo yum whatprovides gtk-config

followed by

$ sudo yum install gettext-devel
$ sudo yum install gtk+-devel

As far as the out-of-date version of wxGTK -- that was a leftover from
the first time I tried to run the CD (the 20060123 version).
Interestingly, and (to my mind, sadly), wx-config was installed in
/usr/bin rather than /usr/local/bin.  This caught me off guard, as the
documentation implied that it would have been installed in /usr/local
(where I prefer that it would have gone).

So, anyway, my report is "Installed on my FC5 box configured with both
development and workstation options selected, along with a few
miscellaneous packages added over time.  In particular, I installed
gettext-devel and gtk+-devel with yum and let the CD installer install
wxGTK".

I would like to say that everything worked fine, but as I was working
through Bill Wilson's tutorial, gschem segfaulted as I was adding one
of the nets.  I think I've seen some traffic on the list indicating
that this has happened to somebody else, and I'll be much more worried
if it happens again after the impending gschem release.

Well, you asked for feedback :-)

--wpd