Re: gEDA-user: Preliminary release of Install CD

> I'm obstinate...
>
> I really didn't want to do a
>
> $ sudo yum install *-devel
>
> (whatever the correct syntax would be).  I didn't want to install
> OpenOffice.org-devel, ogg-devel, this-devel, that-devel.  Instead, I
> ran the installer once, saw that it was missing two packages, by
> virtue of missing autopoint and gtk-config, and that it wasn't happy
> with my old installation of wxGTK.  So I:
>
> $ sudo yum whatprovides autopoint
> $ sudo yum whatprovides gtk-config
>
> followed by
>
> $ sudo yum install gettext-devel
> $ sudo yum install gtk+-devel

Any reason why you just didn't let the installer do it for you?  Of
course you are welcome to install the dependencies in any way you
want.  I just wonder what considerations you had in mind when you
installed the dependencies using yum instead of from the CD.  That
might be interesting info moving forward.

In addition to being obstinate, I am baselessly paranoid (which, for
sheer personal enjoyment, is the only way to be paranoid).  I would
rather install the FC5 sanctioned versions of the required packages
than whatever random virus infected version is on your CD.  I warned
you, my paranoia is baseless.  Fortunately, it is also pragmatic --
the wxGTK available from FC5 doesn't provide "wx-config", so I used
the version from the CD.

More seriously, if I had been doing some development work that
required gettext-devel and/or gtk+-devel, I would have already had
them installed.  If there were any version differences between them
and what's on your CD, then my FC5 test wouldn't have found that.

--wpd