Re: gEDA-user: Preliminary release of Install CD

Patrick --

Thank you for your report!

(snip!)

I'm obstinate...

I really didn't want to do a

$ sudo yum install *-devel

(whatever the correct syntax would be).  I didn't want to install
OpenOffice.org-devel, ogg-devel, this-devel, that-devel.  Instead, I
ran the installer once, saw that it was missing two packages, by
virtue of missing autopoint and gtk-config, and that it wasn't happy
with my old installation of wxGTK.  So I:

$ sudo yum whatprovides autopoint
$ sudo yum whatprovides gtk-config

followed by

$ sudo yum install gettext-devel
$ sudo yum install gtk+-devel

Any reason why you just didn't let the installer do it for you? Of course you are welcome to install the dependencies in any way you want. I just wonder what considerations you had in mind when you installed the dependencies using yum instead of from the CD. That might be interesting info moving forward.

So, anyway, my report is "Installed on my FC5 box configured with both
development and workstation options selected, along with a few
miscellaneous packages added over time.  In particular, I installed
gettext-devel and gtk+-devel with yum and let the CD installer install
wxGTK".

Thanks for the report!

I would like to say that everything worked fine, but as I was working
through Bill Wilson's tutorial, gschem segfaulted as I was adding one
of the nets.  I think I've seen some traffic on the list indicating
that this has happened to somebody else, and I'll be much more worried
if it happens again after the impending gschem release.

Well, you asked for feedback :-)

Yes, am I am glad to get it, either positive (like yours) or negative (as long as there is useful information in the negative feedback).

As for gschem's segfault, that may have to do with the autosave stuff
introduced a couple of months ago.  The gschem version on my test CD
is still old.  The new stuff in the gEDA/gaf CVS is supposed to go a
long way towards fixing this problem.  I'll put the new stuff on the
CD very soon. . . . .

Stuart