Re: gEDA-user: Why use gEDA?

al davis wrote:
On Tuesday 06 March 2007 18:52, Peter Baxendale wrote:

I think if you use Linux machines for teaching there's no
reason at all not to use gEDA. Unfortunately, here all our
teaching machines currently run Windows only, so we use a
rather old Windows distribution which is not entirely
satisfactory.

How about setting up a server, with remote X display on the windows boxes?

Also, I found that students wanting to use it on their own machines were put off by the relatively
complicated installation, including having to install Cygwin
first (that is, for the majority of students who only use
Windows).

They need to learn to deal with more than one system. Faculty need to learn this too. They need to learn it early.

and at the risk of sounding like a broken record.... a gui only environment just does not cut it as far as I'm concerned for lots of real world work. Being literate in the use of unix like operating systems can be a huge benefit.

Jim Williams wrote an app note many years back that had a pair of photos. I can't seem to place my hands on it so I hope I haven't misquoted him too much. In the first photo there is a computer on a very neat table with a vase full of flowers and maybe a glass of wine. The caption reads something along the lines of "the cad companies would like you to think circuit design is neatly captured with their tools" and the second picture shows an old vacuum tube based tektronix scope with a giant mass of wires in front of it hooked up to all 4 channels and some empty pizza boxes on top. The caption here reads something like "in the real world other approaches are often required". I guess my version of that would be a GUI-only CAD flow in a GUI-only desktop environment in the first photo and the second photo having little snippets of shell scripts, awk scripts, a perl script or two and an emacs window.

-Dan