Re: gEDA-user: thermal vias in pcb

I use a number of parts with backside thermal pads.  Draw the rectangle as you describe to comfortably surround the vias.  Then with the mouse over the rectangle hit 's'.  This will flood the thermal reliefs on the vias.  If you want to ever de-solder the part from the back, make sure the pad on the opposite side has the solder resist cleared.

Joe T