gEDA-user: thermal vias in pcb

What is the easiest way to create "thermal vias"? Not a via with a thermal relief -- I can do that :) .. but a via with no thermal relief punched into polygons on both sides of the board that ends up getting filled with solder to help create a large thermal mass to be used as a heat sink.

The application I am targeting is surface mount motor control and voltage regulator IC's. So, a typical part will have a large bottom contact that is to be connected to large pad in the footprint. Then, on the front and the back, as convenient, there are polygons that are also part of the ground plane, the top one overlaps and contacts the footprint pad. Now, the trick: there is a field of small holes drilled into the polygons, with *no* thermal reliefs. Drill size is chosen such that the vias wick up lots of solder and you end up with a nice metal mass. See Freescale Ap-Note AN4005.

So, anyway, should I specify some kind of pin with clearance smaller than the pad? How can I keep pcb's DRC from whining? I'm sure the answer is simple but I'm not sure how to approach it.

TIA,
 dave