Re: gEDA-user: Why use gEDA? [OT]

On 3/7/07, Dave N6NZ <n6nz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

al davis wrote:

> As a teacher, try to emphasize this, even in the tests.  The
> highest grades go to those who can dig in and solve strange
> problems.

Absolutely.  As a hiring manager, I'm only interested in people who can
tackle difficult, unsolved problems with whatever tools happen to be
available.  It's that "over, around, or through" mentality that makes a
good engineer.

As an engineer I try to work around the problems that arise when somebody, that is mostly a sysop, think he knows more than me just because he is the sysop and have the root password. I think that every engineer should shout out loud when his favourite tool is not installed on the system. "tackle difficult, unsolved problems with whatever tools happen to be available" is a reality show scenario for entertainment on TV. For real day-to-day work the engineer should be able to decide himself what tool he wants to use. Emacs, vim, nedit or whatever should always be installed on the system in the newest version. KDE, Gnome, fvwm etc. should be possible to change with the edit of an environmental variable in the login shell control file. If a package of whatever is missing on the system, it should be enough to run a command to have it installed. But that is the ideal world. With linux and open source this should be possible, but it is still a long way to go. -- Svenn