Van: geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Namens al davis
Verzonden: woensdag 7 maart 2007 5:34
Aan: geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Onderwerp: Re: gEDA-user: Why use gEDA? [OT]

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 22:45, Marc Moreau wrote:
> *cough* vim *ahem*
>
> Sorry..  Couldn't resist.
>
> /me dawns the flame suit

Regardless of preference, at some time everyone will be confronted with
something else.  Whether you like it or not, it is important to be able to
cope with it.

I have yet to meet anyone skilled at unix that cannot cope with MS-windows
when the need arises.  When I see a school that is all-MS, and graduates
that know only MS ...  I assume they cannot cope with anything else.
Usually that assumption is true.  I assume such narrowness prevails in all
that they do.

I would go even farther on this  ...    Even if stuck with
windoze ..   sometimes you still need to work with text files.
The unix hack digs in and solves the problem.  The windows user says "I
can't" and they call in someone else to solve the problem.

When I am interviewing job applicants, this is the kind of thing I look for.

As a teacher, try to emphasize this, even in the tests.  The highest grades
go to those who can dig in and solve strange problems.  I don't care about
memorizing formulas.  I have gotten both praise and complaints for this
policy.

A couple years ago, despite pressure from other faculty, I used gnucap in
class, with mixed results.  Within a year later, two of the students came
back (separately, without knowledge of each other) to tell me how much it
helped them in a job interview.

I have seen things like this over and over.