Re: gEDA-user: Why use gEDA? [OT]

> > I would go even farther on this  ...    Even if stuck with
> > windoze ..   sometimes you still need to work with text files.
> > The unix hack digs in and solves the problem.  The windows user
> > says "I can't" and they call in someone else to solve the
> > problem.
>
>    I've explained this to people before, and nobody seems to get it.
> It's not a matter of the use of Windows causing the inability to
> think properly...the inability to think properly causes the use of
> Windows.

There is hope in opening the eyes of windows users, you just have to win
them over gradually with little demonstrations.  Demonstrate to your
audience solving simple problems in UNIX one at a time.  Emphasize using
the right tools for the right jobs.  Show them how to compose smaller
solutions into larger ones, e.g. connecting pipes, find, xargs.  Show how
actions can be saved in shell scripts and Makefiles for re-use.  You
have to demonstrate the benefits of *productivity* before the lights will
go on.

I used to be no better than a "Windows user", being a sucker for the
Apple Macintosh way -- prety interfaces, menus, and point-drag-click.
Ironically, every Mac I touch these days starts with Terminal sessions and
shells -- thank you, darwin.

David "will layout circuits in vi, if necessary" Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
	-- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)