gEDA-user: solder stencil in drafting acetate

A while back we had a short discussion about doing cheap solder stencils in drafting acetate using a laser cutter. As it turns out, I have access to a laser cutter at the TechShop http://www.techshop.ws/ so I gave it a try.

I took the postscript check plot for the paste layer, and converted it to .dxf using pstoedit (available under GPL). Then, I tweaked using QCAD (available under GPL). Tweaks were simply removing the board outline and adding index holes for a fixture I might build some day. Then, I laser cut the .dxf into Clear-Lay brand 5 mil drafting acetate. Power levels were tweaky, and I think I should pre-shrink the pads to account for excess "meltage" at the edges, but I have successfully assembled two boards using my paste stencil, which I reflowed in a toaster oven. Smallest parts were 0603 and 0.8mm lead pitch TQFP.

Anyway, I declare the experiment a success. Anybody that wants the cook-book details is welcome to them.

It would be nice if I could do this direct from the gerber for the paste layer. I was wondering how hard it would be to tweak gerbv to output vectors for pad edges? I'd be willing to hack in a .dxf exporter if I had a road-map and a little advice.

And, while I'm posting... I have a line on an old laser cutter that I might buy. I'm wondering how many other pcb users would be interested in a plastic stencil cutting service?

-dave