Re: gEDA-user: What's your way of syncing CPLD design and gschem symbols???

On Mar 8, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Andy Peters wrote:
The timing issues following from forcing the Xilinx tool
to use a user-defined pin-out are non-trivial IMHO, at
least for CPLDs. So I guess it would be better regarding
timing issues to run Xilinx ISE (or another vendor's tool)
first and then go to gschem and create/update the symbol.

For older architectures, it was definitely a requirement that you let the tools assign the pins. But in my recent designs, using CoolRunner CPLDs and Spartan IIE and 3E and Acex FPGAs, I assign pins as needed by the layout, and I've never had problems meeting timing, nor have I had fitting issues.

The XC3000 and 95xx parts are dead!

Really? That's interesting. My XC9500s are working just fine.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL