Re: gEDA-user: freedog pictures

On Mar 9, 2007, at 7:33 AM, Stuart Brorson wrote:
Since it's quite common to get reference designs that include gerbers, I
was wondering if it would be feasible to to convert these back into,
effectively, a pcb footprint.

Actually, I've often thought that we should advertise gEDA to the big chip guys as a method to distribute reference designs -- schematics, layouts, and Gerbers.

I think one good way to approach this would be to pitch the *file format*, not the software...at first. The industry has proven that it will standardize on file formats (witness Gerber RS-274X) if they work well. Granted the Gerber format (as far as I know) really became well-accepted because equipment that used it was popular, but I'm not sure that matters all that much.

  Hmm, I dunno...it's a half-baked idea.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire