Re: gEDA-user: gerber import (was: freedog pictures)

In the past we have discussed creating a utility
which would read a Gerber file and output either a .pcb or a .fp file
corresponding to the contents of the Gerber.

I know gerber is vector format, so this is possible, but how close are we to being able to do this? Are there any first attempts at it?

We're nowhere near doing it. However, it *is* one of our suggested Google Summer of Code projects!

I am curious, however.  What would you use this facility for?  I'm
wondering about how valuable a tool it might be.  I have my own
opinion, of course, but am always interested in hearing what other
people think.

Stuart