gEDA-user: Information about Google Summer of Code and the gEDA Project

Greetings gEDA users --

I thought I'd post some information about what we're planning on doing
for Google's Summer of Code. Over the last 24 hours we have gotten our act together to participate in the SoC.

First off, the Summer of Code works this way:

* Any open-source organization can have several proposed projects for
a Google-supported student to work on. The list of projects is being formulated and will be posted on the gEDA website soon. Once that's
done, students are invited to apply to work on one or another of the
projects.

We have decided to use the "gEDA Project" as the umbrella
orgainzation for Google.  Although we have no formal organization, the
members communicate often enough -- on e-mail and on the phone -- that
we can pass as an organization.  We also have a long track-record,
thanks to the longevity of the project and teh dedication of the
developers.

* Each open-source organization has an administrator who serves as the
liason to Google, handles paperwork and other administrative tasks.
Dan McMahill has agreed to be our primary administrator, and I will do
support work and act as back-up administrator.

*  Each organization has several mentors who provide technical support
for one or another of the proposed projects.  We have several lead
developers who can act to mentor their individual projects; In
general, it's pretty obvious who will mentor what project.

To participate in the SoC, here's what we're planning:

1.  Dan will whip together a web page listing possible projects for
students to tackle.  Some of us will help him.  It should appear
sometime this weekend.  Folks like Al Davis and Steve Williams should
create lists of possible summer projects and send them to Dan if they
want to mentor students working on their projects.

2.  Dan will get the gEDA Project's application into Google sometime
this weekend.  Again, he will receive support from some members of the
gEDA community, including me.

3.  If Google accepts us as an organization (possible, but not highly
likely), then interested students should e-mail Dan and have a
discussion with him about their intended project.  Then the student
should apply to Google using through their web site.  Ultimately, the
Google must accept the student's application, but it makes sense to
touch base with Dan before applying to Google.

FWIW, the need for a local mentor (e.g. student and professor
are located in the same location) doesn't seem to be a requirement.  I
was previously wrong about this.  Therefore, the two people who have
so far expressed interest don't need to find a local sponsor (although
it never hurts to have a local mentor who is interested in your
progress).

4.  If the student is accepted by Google, then we'll need to tighten
up the requirements of the student's particular project, i.e. agree on
some kind of statement of work, some project milestones, agree on the
desired behaviors of the code to be written, etc.

5.  Then, when summer rolls around, the coding begins!

Send any questions about SoC to Dan or me!

Cheers,

Stuart