Re: gEDA-user: Questions concerning footprints and libraries

DJ Delorie wrote:
1. In the schematic should I use "footprint=1206.fp" or "footprint=1206" ? Does the ".fp" extension designate the newer footprints?

.fp is a convention I added when I set up gedasymbols.org, as the web server needed some standard suffix in order to add a handler for them. So far, nothing treats that suffix specially - yet. I'm recommending new footprints have the ".fp" on them, mostly so you know they're footprints and not, say, Makefiles ;-)

gsch2pcb (in the lastest geda/gaf snapshot will look for the .fp. If yo specify "footprint=myfootprint" it will look for "myfootprint" and if not found "myfootprint.fp".

2. Under the pcblib-newlib directory, there are two locations for the 1206.fp footprint; 1) geda and 2) generic. Is this a problem and how does PCB handle this?

PCB doesn't. When you load from the library, you specify exactly which one you want. Once it's loaded, there's no reference to where it came from any more - it's embedded. gsch2pcb is the other way to get footprints into your design; I don't know what algorithm it uses to choose.

I'll try to remember to delete 1206 from generic.

I have noticed there are more than a few duplicated footprints sprinkled throughout the footprint libraries ? I can go in and make custom footprints for everything but that kind of defeats the purpose. Is there a particular directory that I should be choosing my footprints from ?

I use the ~geda library a lot, plus my own footprint library (on gedasymbols.org)

I stick to ~geda for generic (non vendor-specific) packages.

-Dan