Re: gEDA-user: Google Summer of Code on gEDA Webpages

Bert Timmerman wrote:
Hi Werner,

Having read the wiki on Spice improvements I want to share some thoughts
that came to mind.

I'm not a user of Spice or any other simulation program, so take my comments
with the right amount of salt required for good taste ;-)

You can flavor mine as coming from the viewpoint that I've typically not found board level simulations to be that important except in a few cases. In those, the sims were small enough that just saving all signals would not have been a problem at all. I've used simulators extensively in ic design flows though, but perhaps thats not the crowd of interest here.

About probes:

Good idea to implement the current/voltage probes as symbols.

I've done a number of designs where it was important to run the simulation and then access a fairly large number of voltages. Also on simulations which take a long time to run I often times want to save all node voltages. It's no fun to spend hour or days waiting on a simulation only to find you didn't save some signal of importance. At a minimum, an option to save all signals of certain classes would be good (classes would be things like all node voltages that are not internal to models, all node voltages internal to models, all currents not internal to models, all currents internal to models, etc)

One could leave them in the schematic as to preserve the position and values
of testpoints on the pcb.

After running a simulation, one should be able to select a "down probe" menu
item for one or more selected probe symbols (in a "simulation" pull down
menu inside gschem) as to obtain a value popup dialog window for static
analysis results or a waveform popup dialog window for dynamic analysis
results.

I'm way more interested in selecting "plot node voltage" and then clicking the nodes in the schematic that I want to get waveforms for. Why? It scales much better to large simulations.

-Dan