Re: gEDA-user: pcb program

Seb James wrote:

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 14:10 +0000, Seb James wrote:

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 17:38 +0000, Seb James wrote:

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 19:14 -0800, Harry Eaton wrote:

I've fixed the problem in rats.c; Just grab the latest
cvs.

h.

Thanks Harry. I'll have a look at that on Monday morning, if not before.

Unfortunately this patch doesn't fix the problem where the rats-nest
layer gets mis-drawn as blocks of colour.

I've been connecting components up without the need of the rats nest
(rows and rows of repeated circuits), and have brought the number of
rats-nest lines down to less than about 2000 (currently 1751).

It looks like the "filling up the screen with colour" rats nest problem
has disappeared as a result of the reduced number of rats-nest lines.

Seb

I believe I've seen the same issue. In both of the last two designs I did I had problems when there were still a lot of unrouted nets (rats) remaining in the design. In addition to filling up the screen with color (especially at larger zoom factors), pcb would crash reliably if there were too many rats attached to one net (like ground).

I've also seen problems were, after drawing or optimizing the rats-nest, a shorted net was reported in the log window which was bogus. In one case a short was reported when all pins supposedly attached to that net had no traces routed to them. In other words, it was telling me that pins not connected to anything were somehow shorted to the wrong net. Completing other connections in the design made the problem go away.

Joe T