Re: gEDA-user: installation

C P Tarun wrote:

Do not install as root.  If you install as root, and you need to
install system-wide dependencies, the installer becomes confused when
it tries to fire up an expect session as root.

Now I'm confused. In all these years of working on Unix, I've always
thought packages need to be installed as root. How else will you keep
the binaries in a place like /opt or /usr/local where all users of your
system can access them?

In all my (almost 30) years of working on Unix systems this is what I always thought as well. Especially on systems used by more than one user (which is/was usually the case). I don't see how installing system dependencies as other than the root user will work in general, especially if any of those dependencies are expected to be available to other programs sometime in the future.

Joe T