Re: gEDA-user: Google Summer of Code on gEDA Webpages

Werner Hoch wrote:

Hi Ben,

On Saturday 10 March 2007 22:47, Ben Jackson wrote:

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 09:53:07AM +0100, Werner Hoch wrote:

I'm currently drafting a better spice integration into gschem.
Maybe that could be a project, too.

Anyone who is thinking of improving a spice GUI has got to try
Linear Technology's free SwitcherCAD (aka ltspice). It's the nicest
spice I've ever used. It's a better schematic entry program than
most, too (and that would include Eagle and gschem).

I've played with LTSpice an hour.

Things I like:
* the current and voltage probing (visible marks are missing)
* all entries (simulations and voltage sources) are done with dialog
widgets and also printed in plain text. * changing the model of a diode or transistor
* the property dialog for each circuit element (right mousebutton)

Things I don't like:
* schematic entry (selecting, moving, ...)
* only one simulation at a time.
  This is o.k. for tinkering, but not for real work. I hate it when
  using PSpice (schematics) at work. You can't split your workflow into
  entry, simulation and postprocessing with it.

Regards
Werner

While LTSpice can be ease at first approach I've found:
- building your own devices (subcircuits which have their own symbols) can be tedious. You have to do things in two or three places.
- the simulator has had some serious convergence problems (using the models for some of their own switch mode power supply controllers!). I keep an older version of the program around just in case I update to a broken version.

Joe T