Re: gEDA-user: freedog pictures

DJ Delorie wrote:

I think one good way to approach this would be to pitch the *file format*, not the software...at first. The industry has proven that it will standardize on file formats (witness Gerber RS-274X) if they work well. Granted the Gerber format (as far as I know) really became well-accepted because equipment that used it was popular, but I'm not sure that matters all that much.

I think the footprint format would need a lot more flexibility if it
were to be accepted elsewhere. For example, the ability to have
polygon pads, or different pin diameters on different layers, or paste
patterns for heatsinks.

Yes!
And...
Solder resist patterns that are independent of pad definitions.
And most importantly - handling footprints the way that gschem handles symbols. There needs to be a way to instantiate or reference footprints *without* embedding them completely in the board file

Joe T