Re: gEDA-user: Flame about XML (was: Some footprints I tried to create)

Michael Sokolov wrote:
Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

vi layout.pcb
pcb -x gerber layout.pcb

Thank you, Dan, for expressing it so succinctly!  This is exactly how I
use PCB at the present moment.  Of course it would be just a tad too
difficult to do the whole layout this way, but that's exactly why I plan
on hiring someone else to do the layout for me while insisting that it
be done in GNU PCB rather than some proprietary package: while the
layout itself is a job too visual for my ASCII brain and it's just
simply a job that I feel someone else would do gazillion times better
than me, having it in the text-based PCB format would allow me to do any
necessary minor tweaks afterward by the very method that Dan has just
demonstrated.

you know.... I was mostly kidding... except that I did the layout of a patch antenna with a microstrip quadrature network on it in almost this way. I wrote an awk program that spit out the layout. Unfortunately this was prior to my PCB days and it was for a *cough* commercial *cough* *cough* windows based tool. But in that case it really was easier to describe exactly what I wanted in code.

If/when we expand the footprint capability to include polygons, I could easily see wanting to do that again.

awk -f spiral.awk inductance=5e-9 > ind1.fp

mmmmmm awk.

-Dan