Re: gEDA-user: Flame about XML (was: Some footprints I tried to create)

On Mar 15, 2007, at 6:56 AM, Tomaz Solc wrote:
I would like to add that I see the same trend in electronics. Students
are taught that you don't need to know much about details for example
about amplifier design. You just pick the right chip from the shelf.
Analog electronics itself appears to be dying. Adding microcontrollers
is advocated as the right answer to all problems. A local magazine for
example publishes simple DIY electronics projects - for a couple of
years now they all include PIC processors, even for tasks like blinking
lights where two transistors would accomplish the same task.

I have seen this as well, it is most disturbing. With the general public, I think this started with the advent of the audio CD. It was touted as being "better" primarily because it is "digital". That means anything that is digital is better. Which, to simple people, means anything that's not digital is "bad".

Don't worry, though...while hobbyist and college emphasis on analog electronics may be on a downswing, it can never really die. Any idiot can flash an LED with a PIC after a weekend of instruction, but when they try to move much beyond that, they'll be faced with things like I/O source/sink capabilities, propagation delay, signal integrity, etc...and will fall flat on their faces. And don't forget interfacing to the real world, which will always be an analog place.

ALL electronics is, at the core, analog..."Digital" components and circuits are merely analog circuits that are specified in digital terms. Any designer will have at least SOME analog background, or he/ she simply won't get very far in the field...and will likely never amount to much more than a hobbyist who can flash an LED with a PIC.

However I fail to see why XML format itself is problematic. It is often
abused, but it has its proper uses
<snip>

The problem here is that it's almost always abused when it is used, especially by inexperienced developers. And with the ever- worsening "cheapness" of companies, inexperienced developers make up most of the people writing code...so you see what happens.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL