Re: XML file formats .... was: Re: gEDA-user: Some footprints I triedto create

On Mar 15, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Greg Cunningham wrote:

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 07:34 -0400, David Kerber wrote:
Can you point me to a link on how this works? I use an RPN calculator, but
never heard that term applied to data storage/configuration/ however you
describe what you are doing here.

Dave
http://www.forth.org/faq/faq1.txt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H._Moore
http://www.amresearch.com/starting_forth/sf1/sf1.html

Forth is one of the early(iest?) RPN TILs (Threaded Interpretive
Languages).  Attempting to master it absorbed a year or 2 of my youth.
Despite my fascination for RPL languages & stack parsers, I have
produced zilch with them...

There's a GPL development system I wrote for a very simple Forth dialect (LSE64) at http://space.mit.edu/home/jpd/. I actually use it a lot in conjunction with gEDA. I test hardware with a Linux box full of DAQ cards using test programs in LSE64 (through drivers from comedi.org). Some of the things I design are microprogrammed: the microcode generation is in LSE64. I also use it for generating test vectors for circuit simulations. Some of my customers have been using it also, especially the DAQ and microcode generation stuff.

The problem with using something like Forth for data file exchange is that it's dangerously powerful. Virus writers could have a lot of fun. Perhaps one could remove some features and add checks for illegal data access, but it would probably require some serious care.

jpd@xxxxxxxxx