Re: gEDA-user: Design Flow Roadmap starting point

Dan McMahill wrote:
 how should PCB behave with a hierarchical
schematic?

by default for each cell to be an entity that
you can grab and move around. The ability to visually toggle all hierarchical instances between the contents and a box is fairly useful.
[jg]As in Cadence.  To save on redraw time for big designs.

If you want to edit the contents, you have to descend into the block to edit it.
[jg] Some have hinted they want to create unnamed versions on the fly by doing this, but I like to keep the main reuse-identical-cells value at front and have the editing affect all placements of that same named cell. If I want to make a separate version of a layout instance, I have to save as some-new-name to get it.

You almost certainly want a mode where when you descend you
only see that block in its zero rotation as well as an edit in place mode where you edit the block while all the rest of the board is visible. I'm saying this based on having done quite a bit of hierarchical layout in the ic world. Haven't done it in the board world although I've wished for it a few times.

[jg]And I think when organic printable semiconductors become more real, we will be wanting the IC layout style more and more. Our IC's will just be organic and naked-eye-visible is all...

I'll add the visual toggle concept to the wiki, along with zero-rotation-as-in-the-orginal on edit by default.

http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:design_flow_and_hierarchy_roadmap

The other ideas Igor and DJ already asked for.  And I second all those motions.

John Griessen