gEDA-user: PCB gerber exporter question

I have a question about the gerber exporter for PCB.  I found the other day that PCB exports pins/pads that are rectangles as lines (D02).  I was curious about the reason for this, it was not what I expected.  I thought you would have exported them as a separate aperture for each size so they would be flashed (D03) in the gerber file.  I do not know if other layout programs us this same convention or not.  You can produce gerber files that visually look the same in a viewer program just the syntax is different.  If you flash them it would allow you to add rotation angles and you could also use polygons as pads (maybe).  It would also make it trivial to change the pin or pad style in the gerber directly.  The only down sides is that you would use up the number of aperture that you can define pretty quickly.  Also, I do not know what other problems this could cause in PCB.

Thank,
Matthew