Re: gEDA-user: Multiple open pages in gschem

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 23:56 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> If we keep one instance of gschem (and hence libgeda) per "design", then
> the one running process has all the data it needs in the entire design,
> and allows us easy play at the sub-circuit level. (Which is where the
> core of the nice internal nelisting comes in).

What I don't want to do, is complicate the user experience too much. How
many programming IDEs have I and other users got lost in because
"File->new" is different from "Project->new". We should always be able
to open "just a schematic page", or just a "multi-page schematic" in
gschem without having to define some project infrastructure for it.

I was tempted to make gschem behave like this for a test:

"File->New circuit" makes a new circuit, with 1 or more pages.
"Page->New page" makes a new page.

For now - file-format compatibility reasons, we should keep these as
separate page files, with a "circuit" file indexing the contained pages.

I don't see why some new, similar file-format- like wrapping pages in:

H page_title
[
----PAGE CONTENTS IN HERE----
]

(H for hierarchy? - I would have suggested "P" for page, but its already
taken)

Opening pages without having opened a "new circuit", would add them to a
default, blank circuit hierarchy - and the user (might) get prompted to
see if they want to save it when they quit.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,